Did you ever wonder what your classmates mean by cramming before an exam? What are they doing? How does it help them get a better grade? In today’s blog post, we show you how to cram for a test and memorize things faster and easier.
Cramming is the process of studying intensively for a short amount of time, usually just before a test. The purpose of cramming is to accumulate as much knowledge as possible in the shortest amount of time possible. This is why it is important to learn about the best way to study and memorize the subject matter of your lectures and courses.
Our experts will discuss various types of tests and then show you how to cram correctly. We will also talk about what you need to do before the test, as well as provide you with some very useful tips and tricks. Ready? Let’s get started!
Table of Contents
Why Is Cramming for Exams Important?
If you are like most other students, you are probably trying to learn how to do well in exams without spending days on end studying for each and every one of your tests. Well, we have some good news for you. One of the best ways to do a great job without studying for a week is to learn how to cram. By the way, did you know that cramming for exams is used by more than 80 percent of all students?
Truth be told, cramming is extremely important – especially if you learn to do it correctly. Learning how to cram the right way will enable you to spend just one or two days studying for each exam or test. Also, you will be able to learn quickly and memorize very easily because your brain will be trained over time. And remember, cramming is also extremely useful for those tests or exams that come with very little warning.
Does Cramming Work?
But does cramming work? This is probably the first question on your mind. After all, why would you bother yourself to learn something that does not work? Even though opinions are split, it’s important to keep in mind the reasons for cramming. Yes, it may be true that students don’t remember much of the information they accumulated during a cramming session. And yes, it is also true that you don’t have the time to develop a deeper understanding of the subject when you cram.
However, you will probably use the information you memorize during the cramming session the very next day. Sometimes, students cram the entire night before an exam. This means they will need to memorize the information for just a couple of hours. And this is what cramming is great at. You will remember the information for a day, so you will be able to use it. Cramming is meant to be used as a last resort when you know you are not prepared to take the test or exam – but still want to get a good grade on it.
We know, you are probably anxious to learn how to cram. You don’t have to feel like that, because in any situation you can always pay someone to do your assignment. Before we get to learning part, it’s important to discuss the various types of tests and exams you may encounter. Knowing how to study for them can make a huge difference.
Types of Tests and Exams
Are you studying for an exam and don’t know if you’ll be able to get a top grade? Well, we are here to help you with all the information you need. Here are some of the most common types of tests you can expect in high school and college:
- Written test. This may contain multiple-choice questions, true or false questions, matching questions, or fill in the blank questions. To learn for this test, you need to do quite a bit of cramming, especially if you have a lot of information to cover.
- Oral test. This is also known as a discussion type test. The problem with it is that it can be pretty subjective. Your professor will ask you questions and you need to be able to respond. The best way to cram for this test is to review practice questions and think about what your professor may ask you.
- Physical skills test. You won’t benefit much from cramming, so you just need to exercise the manual labor or physical tasks until you become great at performing them.
Most students don’t really know how to remember things for exam. This is the real issue here. Also, most students really don’t know what to do before exam. Our experts are here to help you with both these problems right now. Read on!
Learn How to Cram Effectively
We will show you how to cram effectively without wasting any time. After all, you probably have less than a day (usually a couple of hours) before the exam or test. So let’s get to it! Let’s show you how to memorize faster and easier for exams:
- First, you need to make sure you have good notes. Yes, you will need to take these in class. However, you could also obtain them from one of your more organized classmates. Time is short and you need the best notes possible.
- Make a plan. Write down the parts you need to study for the exam. In most cases, you professor will hold a review session before the exam, so pay attention.
- Organize your lecture notes and all other notes and put them in chronological order. Again, be as organized as possible.
- Go through the notes once and mark everything you consider to be important. Definitions, equations, concepts, methods, history – everything you think you may need to talk or write about in your exam.
- If you have enough time, rewrite each important piece of information you’ve marked earlier. Rewriting is a great way for your brain to memorize the data.
- Read the marked (or rewritten) information as many times as you can. This way, you will memorize it. It’s worth noting that you should try to understand the concepts and the equations you’re reading. However, just memorizing the information works in most cases.
- Think about questions you may receive during the oral or written test and try to answer them. If you have some practice questions, don’t hesitate to use them.
What to Do the Day Before an Exam
Don’t know what to do the day before an exam? Well, you should study of course. However, if you don’t have much time left, try to do a cram session right away. There is one other important aspect you need to keep in mind when you have very little time left: sleep.
We always advise students to sleep at least a couple of hours before a test or exam. After a day of cramming, your brain is tired. You will start to lose focus. In other words, your brain will not be able to perform as best it can during the exam. A tired student is a student who makes mistakes; and mistakes can cost you dearly.
We advise you to cram hard the entire day and reserve a few hours for sleep. No, you are not losing your time. You are resting your brain and preparing it for the test. Believe us, your brain will be much more effective after just 2 hours of sleep.
How to Study for Exams: Tips and Tricks
We realize you don’t really know how to study for exams quickly. However, our experts are here to help you. Below, you will find a list of the best and most useful tips, tricks and advice that we can give you. All these things will help you study faster and memorize the information quicker. Here are the things you need to keep in mind:
- Plan ahead and start studying a couple of days before the test. Cramming is effective, but should not be used every time you have a test or exam coming. Cramming is more of a last resort solution.
- You’ve surely heard about mnemonic devices (or memory device). This is one of the most effective ways to make your brain remember something. Use mnemonic devices to your advantage every time you can.
- Organize the subject matter as best you can. Well organized notes will help you learn a lot faster. And remember, searching through a pile of notes for some information means you are losing precious time needlessly.
- The lack of sleep erodes the performance of your memory. Keep this in mind and get some sleep before the exam. Yes, it really is important!
- Nutrition is important too. Did you know that some foods contain minerals and vitamins that give you energy and even improve your brain function? Fatty fish, blueberries, turmeric, broccoli, dark chocolate, pumpkin seeds, and coffee can all help your brain and memory.
- Some students have reported success with recordings. After you mark everything important in your notes, record yourself reading those parts. Listening to your recordings will supposedly help you memorize the information faster.
- Take breaks during the cramming session. You should take a 5-10 minute break every hour, according to experts.
- Find the best place to cram. This is usually a quiet place, such as your room or the library. You need to have everything you need at arm’s length, in case you need to search for some information. NEVER cram with other students because you will just distract each other!
- Get to the test or exam early and go directly to the bathroom. You won’t believe how many students have lost precious time or have lost their focus because of bathroom problems during the test. You definitely don’t want to worry about nature’s call!
But what can you do if you didn’t manage to learn everything even after a long cramming session? You’re tired, you have homework to do. Well, we have the solution for you right here.
Get Assignment Assistance
If you want to make sure you do a great job on your assignments and still get plenty of time to study for your tests and exams, you should definitely get some assignment assistance. Our writers are very skilled at writing all kinds of essays and research papers. We can even help you with your coursework or homework.
Our knowledgeable experts can give you the test help you need to ace the exam. Most of our experts have years of experience writing custom academic content online for any uni or college class you can imagine. Your professor will absolutely love our work.
Every student should buy assignments from our native speaking English writers and test prep experts. If you want a top grade, get professional assistance from us. Don’t worry, our prices are very affordable. So, what are you waiting for? Impress your teacher and get an A+ on your next test!