In this blog post, we will talk about how to write methodology sections for dissertations and theses. As you may already be aware, this is a very important section of your paper. We would go as far as to say that it is the most important section of a PhD dissertation.
After all, talking about the specific dissertation methods you’ve used to gather data is extremely important because it gives your research and findings credibility. We’ll see how you can do this more effectively in just a bit. For now, let’s talk a bit about what the methodology is and how it is used.
What Is the Research Project Methodology?
Before we show you how to write a methodology for a dissertation, you need to understand why this chapter is important.
The research project methodology is the entire rationale and strategy of your research.
Here are 5 important things you need to keep in mind when it comes to the methodology chapter:
- You will need to provide in-depth information about the methods you have used to collect and analyze the data.
- You will need to present the information in a way that makes it easy for other researchers to replicate your experiments (and get the same results).
- Your dissertation methodology should be clear and accurate. Lying or omitting certain things that would make your research less credible is a sure way to get penalized.
- The methodology section needs to also contain all the relevant information about the tools and materials you have used to conduct the research and analyze data.
- Your methodology chapter also needs to clearly state the rationale behind choosing one research method over another. You must make it clear that you have used the most suitable methods for your project.
Why Is the Methods Section of Dissertation Important?
So, why is the methods section of dissertation so important, you ask? Regardless of the fact that you are writing a methodology in research proposal or a methodology for literature review, this chapter is extremely important because:
- It allows scholars (and the dissertation committee) to verify the methods you have used to gather the data that you have based your entire paper upon. Basically, it is a reliable way to check the accuracy of the data you have obtained.
- It enables other scholars or researchers to replicate your experiments and get the same results. This is important because other people may want to get your results and use them for other purposes.
- The methodology clarifies your dissertation’s research inquiry and makes it crystal clear why the inquiry is imperative.
- Last, but not least, a properly written methodology section shows your audience that you know what you are doing and what you are talking about.
Don’t Know What to Include in Methodology?
The first step of learning how to write methodology chapters is learning what you need to include in one. Rest assured, missing one important part of the chapter will have severe consequences on the final score. In some cases, the dissertation committee may even decide to return the paper to the student for editing. Fixing the errors can take you weeks. Don’t know what to include in methodology? Here are the most important parts, in order:
- Logic of inquiry. This will tell your audience whether your approach will be qualitative or quantitative. Of course, you should explain why you’ve chosen that particular approach.
- Research setting. This is where you describe the way you have set up your study or experiment. Don’t forget to talk about the participants – if any.
- The methods used to collect the data. This is the part where you list and describe in great detail each and every method and procedure you have used to gather the data.
- Methods used to analyze the data. In this section, you will clearly list and adequately describe each and every method and process you have used to analyze the data you have gathered.
- Ethical aspects. This is an optional section, but it is extremely important if you have had any kind of ethical issues while conducting the research or analyzing the data. In case your research has been cleared by an Institutional Review Board, this is the place to say it.
Characteristics of a Good PhD Methodology
Writing a great Phd methodology can be a very difficult task. We know. After all, this is probably the very first time you have attempted to write a dissertation or thesis. So, to make things as easy as possible for you, we have compiled a list of characteristics that every good methodology chapter needs to have:
- This chapter needs to be written in a clear and concise manner.
- It needs to be very well structured in a logical manner. Usually, each method is discussed in its own paragraph.
- Don’t forget to make it clear why you have chosen a specific method over another.
- Make sure to state how each method has helped you get answers to the specific research questions of your project.
- So, how many words should a methodology be in a dissertation? Generally, you should aim for 1,500 to 2,000 words.
- Keep in mind that you are not talking about your research or doing any data analysis in the methodology chapter. You are just showing your audience the methods you have used and explaining why you have chosen them.
Learn How to Write a Good Research Methodology Chapter
Do you want to learn how to write a good research methodology chapter? You’ve probably already searched for information about this chapter of your thesis everywhere and didn’t manage to find anything usable. Well, the good news is that we have a quick guide on how to write a research methodology for your thesis or a dissertation without spending too much time on it. Here is what you need to do:
- There is no need for an introduction, so don’t write one. However, you should start the chapter with a sentence or two explaining why your chosen research methods are important.
- Write down each method you have used to conduct the research and analyze the data. It’s best to do it while you are setting up the experiments/surveys and while analyzing the data so you don’t forget any of them.
- Write a paragraph about each method, explaining the essential what, why, how, and where. What is the method? Why did you choose it? How did you use it? Where (or on what) did you use it?
- There is no need for a conclusion, so a sentence or two that make a smooth transition to the Results (or Presentation of Research) chapter are enough.
- Edit the methodology chapter to make sure you have adequately explained each method.
- Proofread your work at least twice to make sure there are no typos or other mistakes that can cost you valuable points.
Getting a Great Methodology Dissertation Example
Even though we’ve talked about the dissertation methodology structure, you still need one last thing to make sure you do a great job on your methodology chapter: a great methodology dissertation example. Unfortunately, finding such a sample is easier said than done. Why? Because most of the so-called examples you find online are poorly written.
This is extremely dangerous because some students really used those samples and ended up having to redo the entire methodology chapter. This is not something you can afford to get wrong, so getting a good methodology example is extremely important. This is why we recommend you to get one from an academic writer who already has a degree in your field.
For example, our ENL writers all have PhD degrees in various fields – as well as extensive experience writing dissertations on a wide variety of subjects and topics. They can write an example for you – a real example. And because we only write academic content from scratch, your example will be 100% unique. This means you can use parts of it in your own paper without having to worry about plagiarism.
Thesis Methodology: Best Practices, Tips and Tricks
Want to learn how to write methodology in research proposal? Don’t really know how to write a methodology for a literature review? Or perhaps you need to write a literature review methodology in just 3 hours. In any case, you will need a few great tips and tricks – as well as some great advice. Here is what our seasoned academic writers recommend to every student who is preparing to write his or her first methodology chapter:
- Think long and hard about the type of approach you want to take: qualitative or quantitative.
- The thesis methodology needs to be 100% accurate. Any misrepresentations of the truth are simply unacceptable.
- The methodology in thesis papers needs to be clear and concise.
- The methodology section needs to be unbiased and should not contain your personal opinions about the subject being researched.
- It’s a great idea to write the methodology section while you are setting up your experiments and conducting the research/analyzing the data.
- Don’t be afraid to talk about the limitations of your research methods. The dissertation committee probably already knows about them, so don’t try to hide anything.
- Avoid crossing ethical boundaries. The right to privacy, confidential data, unreliable test subjects, lack of consent, and many others are things to avoid in your paper.
Get Professional Methodology Help
We know, all this information can be confusing. Even though you know what you have to do to write your thesis or dissertation, how you should do it probably still remains a mystery. To make sure you don’t make some mistakes that you will regret for the rest of your life, get methodology help from our experts. College or university, graduate or undergraduate – you can get the help you need to make sure your methodology section looks is written perfectly.
Wow, does this mean you can write my thesis? Yes, we have been helping students with affordable unique academic content for over 10 years. Our writers are all PhD degree holders, so they move very fast. After all, they have helped thousands of students with researching, editing and proofreading their dissertations. Get help from the best in the business and get 100% correct custom thesis content in record time.
We are here for you right now, no matter what assignment (any class, any school) you need help with. Our customer support department is online 24/7. If you don’t know how to write a methodology for a project, get in touch with us and get a nice discount simply for being a new customer!